Hope you all enjoyed your holidays! Now, let’s see what you missed:
- Can’t wait for the US-UK-Your country release for Shinya Tsukamoto’s Tetsuo The Bullet Man? Well, the Japanese DVD will come out in November… and it has english audio.
- Oh, same goes for Kitano fans: Outrage will be released early december on japanese DVD… WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. That’s rare enough to be mentioned.
- Ip Man 2 producer Raymond Wong made it pretty clear on his chinese twitter, piracy supposedly diminished the success of its film. And now, a chinese anti-piracy group is taking action against several websites for having shared Ip Man 2.
- And China still won’t introduce a ratings system for films.. even though the SARFT – n charge of approving films – is said to be “the second-most corrupt of China’s government agencies”.
- What’s the big next projet from Ghibli Studio? Just to clear your hopes, Hayao Miyazaki isn’t working on a Porco Rosso sequel. Blame the mis-part-translation?
- The south korean film industry would be looking to violent films for rebound. The article mentions 3/4 hardcore thrillers released this summer in South Korea, most of them did good at the box office. But for some producers, it’s not enough. Producing ‘global films‘ would be more interesting.
- Wong Kar Wai ex-cinematographer Christopher Doyle is now working on a pink musical called Underwater Love. Jason Gray had the opportunity to visit the set. Yay!
- You liked John Woo’s epic Red Cliff? He’ll start shooting next spring a WW2 film called ‘Flying Tigers‘ using “IMAX to create a new experience for the audience and I think it would be another breakthrough for Chinese movies”. Oh, and he has some other projects in mind, like remaking The Red Circle or… The Killer.
- Who said Arakawa Under the Bridge was a pointless, brainless, stupid anime series? Shaft presents you the Apollonian man & the Venusberg. And the anime is back this fall!
- After Tsui Hark’s two failed attempts, Johnnie To is now trying to crack the chinese market with his new film, Don’t Go Breaking My Heart, a pure romance story… Not really To’s favourite genre. FYI, he’s still shooting Life without Principle (it’s been 2 years?).
- Koji Wakamatsu talks Caterpillar, an anti-war movie (review). Fans should be happy to know he’s already planning his new project, and hopes to finish it by fall 2011. The subject? “An overview of 1960s-era Japan” that will use “film to communicate what textbooks don’t tell you” (thx). Great!
- The City of Violence director is back with The Unjust, and based on the plot/first stills it looks like another promising south korean thriller you should add to your wish-list.
- The South Korean remake for John Woo’s A Better Tomorrow;
- Sym-Bionic Titan, from the director of Samurai Jack;
- This is Zhang Yimou’s The Love of the Hawthorn Tree;
- Red Eagle, just a thai superhero;
- John Woo producing/co-directing the Wu xia film Reign of Assassins;
- Preview for chinese modern western Wind Blast;
## FOR FUN
- Fansubs, the best way to learn japanese!